Rise from within

I would simply like to be a part of the revolution. 

"Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization. Progress if born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation." Debs

Thursday, January 4, 2007

A band you need a dictionary and encyclopedia for

I was first exposed to Bad religion in a freshman english class in college. It was actually by reading an article that the lead singer, who just so happens to have a phd, wrote. I highly suggest checking out their website www.badreligion.com where you'll find some of the lead singer Greg Graffin's essays and other good stuff. Anyway, they are a very political, intelligent, and socially conscious band, which I like to see. They are what I like to call real punk, but as Graffin points out in his "Punk Synopsis" you have to be careful in excluding certain people or groups that you may feel are NOT punk. Regardless, when I think of punk I think of Bad Religion, they aren't the cookie cutter, manufactured music that is put out under the label of punk or that horrible word EMO (which is to me like scratching ones fingernails on a chalkboard).
What is special though about Bad Religion is they write about things that matter, and in a very intelligent and informed way. They're a band you need both a dictionary and encyclopedia for. I picked out a excerpt of the lyrics for "American Jesus" just as an example of their work, but I suggest listening to their music and the messages they put out. I like seeing a band that is not interested in falling into any certain framework, they define themselves, and they put out great music with a purpose....very refreshing considering the musical times we live in. Not all their songs are cynical, but this one certainly is, but it is also the truth. Just a small example of Bad Religion expressing the arrogance of many Americans...think foreign policy with this particular song...ENJOY!
"American Jesus" by Bad Religion
I don't need to be a global citizen,'Cuz I'm blessed by nationality.
I'm member of a growing populace,We enforce our popularity.
There are things that seem to pull us under and,
There are things that drag us down.
But there's a power and a vital presence,It's lurking all around.
We've got the American Jesus,See him on the interstate.
We've got the American Jesus,He helped build the President's estate.
I feel sorry for the Earth's population,
'Cuz so few live in the U.S.A.
At least the foreigners can copy our morality,
They can visit but they cannot stay.
Only precious few can garner our prosperity,
It makes us walk with renewed confidence.
We got a place to go when we die,
And the architect resides right here

No comments: