Rise from within

I would simply like to be a part of the revolution. 

"Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization. Progress if born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation." Debs

Monday, November 5, 2007

Random thoughts on John Edwards

I just read a good article on John Edwards, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, and how he is trying to represent a fresh perspective on American politics and society. As the article notes, he describes Hillary Clinton as a candidate of the status quo. Now, I like Hillary Clinton, I think she's done a lot of good things for the State of New York and America throughout her life. She has the right stance on issues, but I do agree with the articles assessment of her. I like John Edwards, and if it weren't for our broken electoral system, I would vote in the Democratic primary for him, unfortunately I am not a registered Democrat therefore I am rendered rather irrelevant. Whether or not John Edwards is simply trying to distance himself from the other candidates I don't know, but I do like somebody who is able to tackle the class issue in America, and to actually comment on the status quo.

It's refreshing to hear somebody talk about issues that need to be talked about in America, primarily the maldistribution of wealth in America, and the lack of focus on domestic issues such as health care and education. However, my cynicism does creep in and tells me to not trust this man because how will anybody truly change a system, and invert the power structure, without engendering a tremendous backlash from those currently in more? Well I'd rather vote for somebody who is at least talking the talk, and I'll take my chances on whether or not they walk the walk, rather than vote for somebody who doesn't even say the right things. Edwards, more so than Hillary or Obama, is willing to address one of the core issues of our time. His populist rhetoric is incredibly important. We need to stop fooling Americans into believing that there is no aristocracy in America, and that there is no problem with our economic system that all too often leaves people behind. This is not fomenting class rebellion, and if you argue that it is, so be it, because class warfare is waged on the lower and middle classes on a daily basis, by the media, the affluent, corporations, and many of their elected representatives. Well actually, those in power simply impart Americans with their personally selected and prepared ideas, and then let Americans divide themselves. Think about it.

So in the upcoming electoral hoopla, seriously consider who you'll vote for. The media feeds you Obama, Clinton, Giuliani, Romney, but what about the other guys? Republican and Democratic candidates aren't getting the proper treatment they deserve, at least not on par with that of the big four. What America needs is change. I think Edwards represents that. I guess I'll leave things at that for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.